Tamborazo Zacatecano
Tamborazo Zacatecano
I chose this style of music because the Hispanic side of my family traces back to a central city in Mexico called Zacatecas, and I take every opportunity I can to learn more about it.
Tamborazo Zacatecano translates to "big drum band from the land of the grasslands". In other words, the style of music is known for its use of the tambora (a large bass drum) as a strong and heavy heartbeat throughout the song. Zacatecano refers to the people who lived in Zacatecas (the grasslands). This music was mostly played by silver miners and the military. The ensembles usually consisted of 2 trumpets, 2 saxophones, and a tambora. The music is striking, fast-paced, and very loud as it was meant to be performed during street parades and in war.
The most famous military example is the unofficial national anthem of Mexico, "La Marcha de Zacatecas". It was created in 1891 when two Zacatecan musicians made a bet over who could make a better military march song in their style. Muscician Genaro Codina's piece won, and it was popularized instantly. Now it is played around the world as a Mexican military song and by school wind ensembles. Listen carefully to the linked YouTube video for the undeniable Tambora that upholds the heartbeat of the song.
(Here is a photo of a Mexican Tambora)
A more modern example of this style is with the popular party song "La Cococha". This style can be applied to formal songs and party songs, which is pretty cool as it's such a versatile style. In this song, you can still distinguish the thrum of the tambora even though it goes pretty fast. You can also hear the trumpets and saxophones riffing off after each other, almost like they are in a dialogue.
Sources:
“Introduction to Mexican Music (Banda Music).” Berklee PULSE, pulse.berklee.edu/?id=4&lesson=30&book=410&chapter=3843. Accessed 19 Mar. 2026.
https://pulse.berklee.edu/?id=4&lesson=30&book=410&chapter=3843
“Zacatecas.” Wind Repertory Project, www.windrep.org/Zacatecas. Accessed 19 Mar. 2026.
https://www.windrep.org/Zacatecas
Hi Bella, I think you did a great job on this blog! I think that these songs are both really cool and give a good variety in Tamborazo Zacatecano music. Of the two songs, I think that I prefer La Cococha just because it seems more upbeat. Something that I found interesting about "La Marcha de Zacatecas" is that even though it is made from it's unique style of music, it still has the feel of an anthem or patriotic/prideful song even if you are not familiar with it.
ReplyDeleteI also talked about this when I was commenting on another blog but I focused on music from the Alaska Native culture. What I talked about in my comment was that I noticed a couple similarities in our blogs which were how important the drum and vocals were to each type of music from the cultures we focused on. I think it's unique that the drum is also important to the Mexican culture or at least this type of music. I also liked how the Mexican Tambora sounded in the Mexican National Anthem
Delete