Innovations and Evolutions of the Saxaphone in Jazz

 How The Saxophone Became a Core Jazz Instrument

I have always loved the saxophone. In fact, when I was in 5th grade, our music teacher had us all pick one instrument we wanted to learn, and I chose the saxophone. Unfortunately for me, my teacher didn't trust all 85lbs of me to hold and play a saxophone and instead handed me a clarinet. The clarinet and I did not get along very well, as I didn't necessarily like the way it sounded. There was this specific jazzy tone to a saxophone that drew me in, and I regret never learning to play it. 

The saxophone was invented in the 1840's in Belgium by Adolph Sax. Get where the name comes from now? It was based on the clarinet, much like my beginning. 


The jazz genre was born in the 1910's, although the saxophone did not join until the 1920's with the birth of swing. Jazz mostly consisted of trumpets, trombones, and clarinets, so when Sidney Bechet introduced the saxophone, it blended perfectly with the other brass instruments. Here I have an audio recording of Bechet playing the soprano saxophone from 1923:

"Cake Walking Babies From Home"




Fast forward to today, saxophones are widely known as a jazz instrument, and one of the most influential players is Immanuel Wilkins. He is considered one of the new major voices of jazz for our generation. He plays the alto saxophone and blends themes of black history, storytelling, and gospel. Here I have attached one of his songs that shows his gospel roots and quartet interaction:

"Grace and Mercy"

Sources:

https://www.jazztimes.com/features/special-feature/before-after-immanuel-wilkins/?v=0b3b97fa6688 

https://kgumusic.com/blogs/news/the-evolution-of-the-saxophone-in-jazz-music?srsltid=AfmBOooUE4Y3VvfGpq9of7463J0_iOFmbFLuHddqcqxNhlVPHTukZeve 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1

Tamborazo Zacatecano

Musical Analysis #1 Rustin in the Rain